Post Falls History Walk blends both art and history in a way to help citizens and tourists alike feel connected to our city. Following the online map, walkers can visit important historical sites and "meet" past citizens of Post Falls who have made significant contributions to the quality of life we enjoy.
Fourth graders at Ponderosa Elementary School in Post Falls, Idaho have worked together with historian Kim Brown to create biographical summaries of each citizen featured on the Post Falls History Walk. That information may be accessed by clicking on the names at the top of this home page.
The Post Falls History Walk project is a collaborative effort between the Post Falls Historical Society, the City of Post Falls, the Post Falls School District, and business owners in Post Falls. It was recognized by the Idaho Historic Preservation Council in the summer of 2009 with an Orchid Award.
Historic text and research by: Kimberly Rice Brown, Post Falls, ID
Sources: Files Post Falls Historical Society, National Register of Historic Places nominations, oral video histories, Kootenai County Genealogical Society Files,
personal conversations with the families of the historic figurines of Post Falls History Walk 2007-2008.
History Walk Route: National Register of Historic Places and Historic Locations
The rock carvings or petroglyphs, appear as June 1, 1871, Frederick Post. Post was the founder of Post Falls. There is no evidence that a treaty was signed here, but reference to the date and Frederick Post are found in the 1891 Treaty between the U.S. Government and the Coeur d’ Alene Tribe. (sketch available)
4. Washington Water Power Bridges: These private bridges replaced older wooden structures in 1929-1930 and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The smaller bridge crosses the old Spokane Valley Irrigation Canal. The main concrete reinforced arch bridge is one of the few remaining bridges of this kind in Idaho. It accesses Avista Corporation’s hydroelectric facility, completed c. 1906 near the second channel of the river.
5.The Spokane Valley Irrigation Canal & Corbin Ditch Head Gate: Located within Falls Park, the canal utilized the old mill race of Frederick Post to provide water from the Spokane River above the falls to the agricultural settlement of the Spokane Valley.
Begun through the efforts of Spokane developer, mining magnate, and railroad builder, Daniel Chase Corbin, the Spokane Valley Irrigation Canal portion within Falls Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. The head gate associated with the Corbin Ditch, was restored by the Post Falls Lions, the City of Post Falls, and the Post Falls Historical Society in 2004.
6. Falls Park is a 22 acre mixed use and scenic overlook located near the first channel of the Spokane River at Post Falls. Owned by Avista Corporation, it is leased to the City of Post Falls. Within its borders are scenic wildflowers, spectacular view of the falls in spring and winter, a childrens’ fishing pond, and handicapped accessible trails and playground. The park also features the earliest economic development of the town with historic signage. Restrooms and parking are available for users.
7. Q’emiln Riverside Park: Dedicated on Frederick Post’s birthday, on September 16, 1989, in preparation of the state Centennial in 1990 and the city’s in 1991, the former South Park was renamed Q’emiln Riverside Park. That name, chosen in 1986 as the name for the 40 acre trail system west of the park, honored the area’s oldest history. The Coeur d’ Alene Tribe who has lived in the area for thousands of years had a village near the falls named “Q’emiln(ka-mee’lin), meaning “throat of the river”.
8. Captain John Mullan 14’ Marble Statue: honors the pioneer road builder
and his crews who constructed the first engineered road through the Inland Northwest from 1859-1962. The statue, one of seven, was designed by western frontier artist Edgar S. Paxton and dedicated to several Idaho communities in 1918 by the forerunners of the Montana and Idaho Historical Societies by the heirs of William A. Clark, Jr., one of the Montana copper kings.
PF HISTORY-WALK FIGURINE IDENTIFICATION
A. Frederick Post
Founder of Post Falls
Located at PF City Hall, 408 Spokane Street
Co-owner of Farmers Trading Post
Two Term Mayor, Community Leader
Located at 318 Spokane Street
Post Falls Administrator and Educator
President of North Idaho College
Located at French's Cleaners, 102 E. 4th Avenue
D. Walter F. Chapin
Longtime Pharmacist & Businessman
Future Mural to be located inside the Post Falls Historical Museum
E. Edgar A. Seiter
Cannery Owner & Mayor
Located at Post Falls Dry Cleaners
606 N. Spokane Street
F. Edward Lee Brugger
Businessman & Farmer
Located at Designer I Hair Fashions
702 N. Spokane Street
G. William “Bill” Wilson
1st Black Resident
Truck Garden Owner, Friend
Located in the Post Falls Historical Museum
H. Evelyn M. Seyforth
Family Grocer & Church Historian
Located at Handy Mart, 312 N. Spokane Street
I. Mary Long Eisenhauer
Located at Post Falls Public Library in the Children's Section
J. Walter Chapin's Children, Walter Jr. and Helen Chapin
Located near the entrance to the Post Falls Historical Museum
K. Ian Waltz
First Post Falls Olympian, Ranked #1 in USA, 2007
Located at G.W. Hunters Restaurant Steak House, 615 N. Spokane St.
L. Veterans Mural
A group of Post Falls veterans representing all major conflicts
Located on City Hall campus behind the museum
M. Robert and Mary Templin
Located at the Post Falls Chamber of Commerce Building by City Hall
N. Mary Schell
Located at the Post Falls Family Dental Center at 313 N. Spokane Street